30.6 PRONUNCIACIÓN Y ORTOGRAFÍA / PRONUNCIATION AND SPELLING

LAS VARIANTES GEOGRÁFICAS DE LA PRONUNCIACIÓN DEL ESPAÑOL

In the majority of variants of Spanish, c + e/i and z + a/o/u are pronounced like [s] (seseo).

NORTE Y CENTRO DE ESPAÑA HISPANOAMÉRICA, ANDALUCÍA Y CANARIAS
[θ]: zapato [θa’pato]
cena [‘θena]
[s]: zapato [sa’pato]
cena [‘sena]

Listen to the difference.

[θ]: zapato, cena [s]: zapato, cena

lupa2_V2 Some words differ by just one sound.
tasa [‘tasa] ~ taza [‘taθa]
casar [ka’saɾ] ~ cazar [ka’θaɾ]

In regions where the [θ] sound is not pronounced, these words sound the same when spoken, and are only differentiated in written form.

The [x] phoneme is pronounced with an aspirated sound [h] in areas of the Canary Islands, Andalusia, the Caribbean, Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Mexico and Central America.

caja [‘kaha] el jefe [el’hefe]

In areas of the Caribbean, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, Andalusia, Chile and the Canary Islands, the –s at the end of a syllable is silent or aspirated [h].

hasta [‘ahta] mañana las mesas [lah ‘mesah]

The loss of final consonants is quite common in Andalusia, Chile, the Caribbean, Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay.

verdad [βeɾ’ða] comer [ko’me]

In addition, there are sometimes variations in where the stress of words falls.
deo (España)                       video (Hispanoamérica)
Óscar (España)                      Oscar (Hispanoamérica)

Intonation in Latin America is generally more varied and features more tonal rising and falling.

Other variants only occur in certain areas.

In the region of Río de la Plata (Argentina, Uruguay and some areas of Paraguay), ll and y are pronounced [ʃ] (like the English sh).

Yo me llamo    [‘ʃo me’ʃamo]

In the region of Río de la Plata (Argentina, Uruguay) there are variations in the 2nd person singular of the present indicative.

The accent changes, and they use the form vos instead of .
sabes (España)      vos sabés (Río de La Plata)
comes (España)     vos comés (Río de La Plata)

Ahora vuelve a escuchar el audio de la actividad 30.5.1 de Prácticas de comunicación y pon atención en las diferencias de acentos de las distintas personas que hablan español según su lugar de origen.